Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins: December ('12) - January ('13) Selection


A few years ago, I remember my son reading through the three books in The Hunger Games series.  He described the premise as a sort of post-apocalyptic story in which poor districts outlying a rich and extravagant capitol have to send one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 & 18 each year to fight to the death in a live television broadcast.  This is their punishment...their retribution...for an uprise against the capitol that happened many years ago.  I thought it sounded pretty intense, but seeing as it was written for teens...and I'm not a fan of censoring books...I waited to hear his updates.

And then my son told me that the film adaptation was coming to theaters.  I saw the previews...and teared up a bit...and knew I'd be the one going with him to see it.  I fell hard for the film.  And I immediately came home and dug out his books.  And plowed through all three in a manner of days.  I was officially hooked.  I'm happy that I saw the film adaptation before I read the books. Why? Well, because it's almost guaranteed that if I read the book first, I will loathe the movie.  But seeing the movie first allows me to separate the two and look at them as individual projects.  The thing is, this film was extremely well done.  Probably because the filmmakers included the author, Suzanne Collins, in the process of making the film.

It shouldn't come as too much of a surprise that the book(s) are fairly foodcentric.  From the humble hunting, fishing, foraging, baking, cheese making, and cooking of the poor outlying districts to the richness and extravagance of the meals provided in and by the Capitol, food played an integral part of the book.  Sadly, I though it was sort of grazed over (if you will) in the film.  Left on the backburner.

For this reason, I chose The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins as a selection for Cook the Books Club AND Food 'n Flix.  That's right.  It's a special edition of both Cook the Books and Food 'n Flix.  We're joining forces over December and January to bring you The Hunger Games.  Of course, you are under no obligation to do both, we just thought that it would be a fun collaboration.  Read the book first and then watch the film.  Create a post for Cook the Books Club inspired by the book.  Create a post for Food 'n Flix inspired by the film, but use the book as reference and background for the food.  You can combine your two posts, if you're playing along with both.  But please don't let it scare you off if you don't want to watch the film - that part is optional for Cook the Books.

So, without further ado... "Happy Hunger Games! And may the odds be ever in your favor."


Once  your post is complete, please leave a link to it in the LINKY TOOL below.  Submissions are due by Tuesday, January 29th at noon EST.  I can't wait to see what inspires everybody this round!  An update on who our judge for this round will be posted once I figure that out...


This linky list is now closed.

12 comments:

Danid said...

I have not yet read these (am I the only person in the world?!) but what a great reason to! Can't wait to restart Cook the Books with all of you! Happy Holidays!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I am so excited for this one and the special edition with Food 'n Flix too!

I bought the paperback Hunger Games at Costco a couple of years ago and then got a Kindle for Christmas shortly after--books 2 & 3 were my first loads on the Kindle and quickly devoured over the holiday week. I saw the movie with a good friend and fellow fan when it came out and loved it too (Although I agree with you Heather on wanting more food in it!) ;-)

Looking forward to both a reread and a re-viewing.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Well I never. I saw the movie and wondered how on earth it could be considered a food-based book! I'm so glad I have read the book now - much better and much foodier!

Heather S-G said...

@Foodycat - I know! Isn't it amazing the amount of food in the book? Makes me sad that they didn't "go there" in the movie.

Rachel said...

I am with Dani and Foodycat; hadn't read the book yet but now that I have, I really enjoyed it and have gotten the next two in line for my reading queue. So many hidden meanings and symbolisms in the book. Now to watch the movie! And blog, of course.

Debra Eliotseats said...

I had my doubts about this selection but I truly could not put it down! Loved it and am now reading the second in the trilogy. Loved the movie too. I like the linky tool!

Ana said...

Read the Hunger games and became so fixated with it that I went out and bought the other two books. Now I have finished reading the trilogy, and I am so disappointed that there is not a 4th book to read. I really want to spend some more time with these characters because I have became so fond of them. I think Susanne Collins must be something of a foodie, because all three books, even in the darkest parts of the narrative have some mention of food. This weekend I am renting a bow and arrows and going hunting around my neighborhood for squirrels. I will be making skinned squirrel, roasted over a coal pit I have all ready dug up in my back yard. I hope I won't be breaking any ordinances, but I am really into the spirit of this edition of Cook the books!!! OK, just kidding about the bow and arrows, but I am not kidding when I say thanks for picking this wonderful book. Can't wait for the reveal, and may the odds be ever in your favor!!!

Claudia said...

The linky makes it easy, good job. I too had my doubts about this selection, but dipped in and loved it. As time has passed, I've become less of a movie person, and more just books. But am okay with that.

You go Ana! Can you believe it, hunting squirrel with a bow and arrow.

Tina said...

The link hates me. I just tried to add my link on Food 'n Flix and here at Cook the Books. So, help, Heather! What am I doing incorrect?

My link is here by the way,

http://tinaculbertson.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-hunger-games.html

Tina said...

My bad, I see it came up :-) must be a delay on my end.
Absolutely a great pick for both CtB and food and flix. Love all the food choices.

Heather S-G said...

@Tina - yes, sometimes once you enter, your computer takes you back to a cached copy of the page (so it looks like your link did not work). Either try exiting the page and entering again, or just check later. It should always "take"... :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

My post is up. Great choice Heather and so fun to combine the events. Can't wait to go around and look at all of the entries. ;-)